Sunday, September 6, 2009

I STILL WANT TO TOUCH 100MPH:ISHANT SHARMA


In an interview to The Indian Express, the lanky Indian seamer speaks about his burning ambition to touch the 100 mph mark, his new role as the first-change bowler and improving his economy rate.
Ishant Sharma runs in and bangs it short to team mate Virat Kohli during the nets. On Saturday, playing for ONGC in the in the semi-final of the BCCI's Corporate trophy, he will test Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh and Robin Uthappa with the shorter delivery.

In an interview to The Indian Express, the lanky Indian seamer speaks about his burning ambition to touch the 100 mph mark, his new role as the first-change bowler and improving his economy rate.

Considering there will be non-stop cricket coming up, how did you spend the off-season?

I was training regularly throughout and I am in prime fitness now. I was at the nets with my coach back in Delhi when others were resting, the idea was to ensure my stock deliveries are intact while I gain confidence to bowl more variations. I also had a good four-day session with Team India and the matches in Corporate Trophy will help me build up for the Sri Lanka tri-series and the Champions Trophy.

You are being prepared to be the first-change bowler in ODIs. How are you responding to the new task?

I have bowled first change before, so it's not new to me but yes, bowling first change is difficult. With the new ball, there's swing as well as bounce off the wicket but when you bowl first change there's just bounce and it gets easier for the batsman. But since I have the height advantage, I can extract bounce off the wicket and am confident of doing justice to my role in the team. The ball gets a bit softer too but I am hoping that I can be as effective as I am with the new ball.

After you bowled the fastest delivery by an Indian, you spoke of touching the 100mph mark. Is that still a target?

No my idea hasn't changed at all; instead, I am eager to bowl quicker and quicker. I still want to touch 100mph, that's my ambition and there's no getting away from it. I can't tell you when exactly I will breach the barrier; for a bowler it depends on various factors. I am a rhythm bowler, and if you are in good rhythm then forcing the pace is easy. Right now I am feeling good about my bowling, I am a lot sharper and I will be getting quicker this season.

You used the yorker to good effect in domestic matches but not at the international level. Why?

I am trying to work on death bowling, try and bowl more slower ones and yorkers. And since I have to bowl in the powerplay as first change, the yorker is an absolute must. The problem with bowling a yorker is the margin of error is huge, but I have worked hard on developing the yorker and will use it more this coming season.

Despite your attacking role, your economy rate has been a worry.
I know I have to work on my economy rate. When you are playing one-dayers, one has to keep watch on it. With the semi-new ball, the first job is to control the runs, and then if the situation demands I can go into the attacking mode.

What is your goal for this season?

I want to have a year as impactful as my debut season. I am eager to make up for an ordinary last season.
Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment