Thursday, September 10, 2009

White: I can still bowl


Cameron White is mindful that his spot in Australia's ODI unit is by no means secured and hopes to contribute more with the ball in matches to come.

Budding leg-spinner White has bowled a mere 10.3 overs in his last dozen one-dayers and has not yet been called into the attack in the ongoing series against England. He has, however, proved instrumental with the bat, contributing 53 and 42 in his coutry's wins in the the first and second match of the seven-ODI series.

"I felt as though I need to always keep improving at my bowling to help play more games for Australia and hopefully that can help me improve and become a better bowler," 26-year-old White told CATV. "But at this stage I probably just need to work at it in the nets now and need to put it in a game now at some stage.

"I've shortened my run-up a little and just trying to get side on a little bit earlier and basically get side on at the point of delivery to give myself a better chance to bowl the ball and be a bit more accurate."

Lack of bowling aside, the Victorian is enjoying his newfound role at number three in Australia's batting order. Having come in at five, six, seven and eight since his debut in 2005, the levelheaded right-hander has been promoted in the absence of regular number three Ricky Ponting, who on Monday returned after a break away from the tour of England.

"Obviously you get to get in against a new ball, get a bit more time to set your innings up rather than if you're batting at seven or even a six at times," he added.

"You're basically trying to score at a run a ball and hit boundaries from then on in when coming at seven, so I really enjoy batting at three. It just gives me a bit of time to play really correctly and set my innings up."

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment