Sunday, October 18, 2009

Alam open to batting at any position


Pakistan allrounder Fawad Alam, who scored back-to-back centuries for National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, has said he is willing to bat at any position if he makes it back to the national side.

Alam was dropped from the one-day squad after scoring 54 in three matches in Sri Lanka in August and is hoping to get a recall for the series against New Zealand in Abu Dhabi next month. "I have been asked to bat in a number of positions already in my career and as long as I am in the Pakistan team, I am more than happy to bat wherever my team needs me to bat," Alam told Pakpassion.net.

"My aim is to perform to the best of my ability in every match, whether it's for my domestic team or for my country, I will always give 100% effort."

Alam, who scored a hundred on his Test debut, scored 126 in NBP's innings win over Lahore Shalimar last week and followed it up with an unbeaten 154 against Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) in an ongoing match in Lahore.

Alam said NBP were looking favourites in the Quaid-e-Azam after their early successes. "I'm really pleased that I have hit back-to-back centuries. I felt really confident today, it was hard work out there and although the wicket at the Gaddafi Stadium gave plenty of assistance to the fast bowlers, I was middling the ball quite nicely. Hopefully I can continue this good form. We are amongst the favourites, but its a long season and we need to continue to work hard and play good cricket."

Pakistan cricket is going through yet another controversy as national captain Younis Khan offered his resignation following speculations about the team's exit from the Champions Trophy. The board is expected to take a decision on his captaincy on Monday. Alam hoped the outcome would be in the best interest of Pakistan cricket. "Younis is a good captain and I hope he will continue as the skipper," Alam said.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment