Friday, October 16, 2009

Diamond Eagles beat Somerset by 5 wickets

HYDERABAD: Decent bowling complemented by disciplined batting scripted Diamond Eagles' five-wicket victory over Somerset, who kissed their semi-final hopes goodbye after losing the League B encounter of the Champions League on Friday.

The Eagles bowlers, especially Cornelius de Villiers (4/17) did a brilliant job - allowing just one significant partnership in the Somerset innings - restricting the English outfit to a modest 132 for eight wickets.

The same discipline was the hall-mark of their chase as Morne van Wyk (47) and Ryan Bailey (29) guided them near the victory mark and their team-mates completed the rest with 1.2 overs to spare. The Eagles got off to an eventful start in their pursuit for the 133-run victory with in-form Rilee Rossouw (13) in the thick of things.

The attacking left-hander, who had slammed a half-century against Sussex, was clearly in a hurry. He came down the track to meet the first ball he received to send it across the rope, while depositing the fourth delivery in the sight-screen for a massive six to make a statement of intent.

Charl Willoughby's torment, however, was soon over as Alfredo Thomas pouched Rossouw's skier at mid-on to see the back of the batsman, who was looking ominous.
Morne van Wyk and Adrian McLaren (13) maintained the tempo, picking boundaries at will and their stance had yielded 30 quick runs when McLaren fell to Willoughby, having hit the bowler for a four in the previous delivery. If van Wyk was perturbed after losing two partners, it did not show as he smote Max Waller for a huge six over mid-wicket.

In keeping with the trend, just when things were looking picture-perfect for the Eagles, came the next setback as captain Boeta Dippenaar (18) holed out to Wes Durston off Waller in the 12th over. The situation merited caution and van Wyk sensibly retreated into a shell, leaving the job of scoring to Ryan Bailey (29).
Both eventually fell in quick succession but by then, the writing was clear on the wall for Somerset and Ryan McLaren and Alan Kruger completed the formality.

Earlier, Wes Durston starred in a 77-run stand with James Hildreth to guide Somerset to 132/8 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium.

Recovering from the shock of Marcus Trescothick's sudden departure for home due to stress-related illness, Somerset found themselves in a hole at 52/5 inside nine overs with Corneius de Villiers (4/17) wreaking havoc on their top and middle order.

Durston (57 off 32 balls), who replaced Trescothick, and Hildreth (31) then steadied the ship with a crucial partnership that may not have resulted in an imposing total but at least gave their bowlers something to defend.

de Villiers triggered panic in his first over, trapping opener Craig Kieswater (8) and next man in Arul Suppiah (0) with his fourth and fifth legitimate deliveries, separated by a wide ball in between.

In his next over, de Villiers removed Zander de Bruyn (2) and at 19 for three, the situation looked anything but rosy for the English side.

His team in crisis, a lot was expected from Justin Langer (12), but two back-to-back fours off Shadley van Schalkwyk were all he managed before Thandi Tshabalala castled him with his first delivery.

Alan Kruger then caught Peter Tego off his own delivery before Durston and Hildreth did some damage control job.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment