Friday, October 16, 2009

Hauritz waits for another chance


Nathan Hauritz expects Australia to rely on four fast bowlers during their Tests this summer, potentially limiting his opportunities following an encouraging series in England. Hauritz captured 10 wickets with his offspin in the first three Ashes games before being squeezed out when the selectors preferred pace at Leeds and The Oval.

While the move was a huge success at Headingley it backfired in south London, where the hosts won on a big-turning pitch. Hauritz believes the ploy will continue in the home series against West Indies and Pakistan. "I think four quicks is Australia's preferred strategy, they think that their strength is quick bowlers at the moment," Hauritz said in the Daily Telegraph. "I think that's the way they will look at going this summer."

Hauritz was surprised and disappointed to be left out at The Oval but knows he is a better bowler following his England experience. "To play three Ashes Tests was fantastic, I think after playing those Tests my game just continues to improve," Hauritz said. "I have a lot more confidence now and I believe in myself a lot more."

While Hauritz is hoping for more Test action, Jason Krejza, the Tasmania offspinner, is aiming for a full Sheffield Shield season with the Tigers. Krejza started the campaign well with 4 for 70 in his side's loss to South Australia on Friday.

"I spent a lot of my pre-season on my pace and to try to keep the runs down, to dry the scoring up," Krejza said in the Australian. "Everything was good. I changed my pace small amounts, which was something I've been working on."

Krejza was picked on the tour of India last year, taking 12 wickets on Test debut, but he quickly dropped out of favour following South Africa's record win in Perth. A recall is "still pretty far away" and he is trying to stay relaxed. "Cricket's a game and the more you worry about it the more nightmares you have about it," he said. "I'm just trying to take wickets for Tassie and win games for Tassie, and I'm not looking too much further ahead than that."

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment