Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm not finished yet, insists Lee

The Australian pace spearhead Brett Lee has no plans of cutting down on any formats of the game to prolong his career.

The wear and tear of the last 10 years have taken a toll on Lee's body but he is not ready to say goodbye any format of the game.

"I love Twenty20"

Lee said the focus now is to get his place back in the Australian Test squad but he was not planning to sacrifice ODIs or Twenty20 to achieve that.

"To constantly bowl 150 kmph for 10-15 years will obviously result in injuries but I am not finished yet. I am feeling fresh and still have lot more years of cricket left. I still love the game and have passion for the game," Lee said on Thursday.
"Any opportunity to play for your country is something special and as bowler I am certainly not complaining. I love to play all formats of the game. I love Twenty20, it is exciting but I am hungry as ever to get back in the Test team," he added.

The 33-year-old pacer said the injury sustained during the first ODI against India in Vadodara was unfortunate and he was hoping for a commendable performance in rest of the seven-match series to earn his place back in the Test side.

He also ruled out suggestions that playing in the Champions League just before the bilateral series had anything to do with his injury.

"I don't think my injury has anything to do with Champions League. I wanted to play as much as possible, especially after bowling in the nets throughout the Ashes.
"The opportunity came up when we qualified for the Champions League last year. I was born in New South Wales so I am always ready to represent it whenever I get an opportunity.

But having said that playing for Australia definitely comes first," said Lee.
"It is unfortunate that I picked up a slight elbow niggle during the first ODI."
Incidentally, Australia skipper Ricky Ponting had earlier claimed that the inaugural Champions League has hindered his side's preparation for the series as three of his key players -- Lee, Nathan Hauritz and Doug Bollinger were busy playing for NSW in the cash-rich Twenty20 event.

Lee, however, refused to speculate on his availability for the third ODI here on Saturday.

"I will know whether I would be able to play only after tomorrow's training. I am not going to make any call today, but hope I will be there. I have not had much rest for the last 4 to 6 months, so it is bound to happen," he said.

After the thrilling win in the series opener, Australia slumped to a humiliating defeat in the second ODI on Wednesday, but Lee said it would be wrong to undermine the visitors as the series is still young.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment