Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Michael Hussey determined to bat on in all three forms of the game

Australian batsman Mike Hussey believes he doesn't need to give up his spot in the one-day side in order to prolong his Test career, declaring he has the hunger and motivation to make it to the 2011 World Cup.

But the 34-year-old predicts Australia will soon be forced to adopt a squad mentality similar to that used by soccer clubs in the English Premier League in order to cope with the increasing demands of world cricket.

Hussey has endured a barren year on the Test arena in 2009, producing just three half-centuries before a career-saving 121 in the fifth Ashes Test in England in August.

But the classy left-hander believes he can still handle all three forms of the game for several more years yet, saying he worked hard just to get a single game for Australia and wasn't about to give up his spot without a fight.

“I'd love to be involved in the next (50-over) World Cup for Australia, so to do that I've got to play well, put good performances on the board and hopefully the team keeps winning,'' Hussey said ahead of Australia's one-day tour of India, which starts on Sunday.

“That's my goal certainly.

“One-day cricket I really enjoy.

“I know a lot of people have been talking about the future of one-day cricket but for me personally I think one-day cricket has a huge future in the game.

“It caters for so many different types of players and it's a form of the game I really want to be a part of.''

With the cricket calendar becoming increasingly congested, especially since the explosion of Twenty20 cricket, Hussey acknowledged the need to rest certain players.

“I think what's going to happen is we are going to see more of a squad mentality used,'' he said.

“We've got 25 contracted players and I think you'll find that more of those 25 players will be used over the course of a calendar year, much like say a Manchester United or an English football club where they are using a whole squad when they are playing so many games.

“I think that's going to have to happen, particularly the fast bowlers, we are going to have to manage those players pretty well.

“And some senior players, someone like Ricky.

“He's already had some scheduled breaks along the way.

“It's important to get the players playing close to 100 per cent for the real important games.''

However, Hussey said he would be reluctant to take the option of rest for fear of losing his spot for good.

“For me personally it took me 10 years just to get one game so I'm not that keen on resting or giving someone else a chance to take my place,'' he said.

“There's so many young guys out there wanting their opportunity to play for Australia so it is a tough one, but you have to have faith in the selectors and the coaching staff and listen to your body as well.''

While the fans are leaving the 50-over game in droves, paceman Mitchell Johnson said it was still held in high regard by the players.

“Test cricket is No.1 for me but then it's followed by 50-over cricket,'' he said.

“I prefer 50-over cricket (over Twenty20).

“I hope it doesn't die because I love the game.''

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment