Monday, November 16, 2009

Sachin fascinated by Richards shot


In an exclusive interview to SportsCenter’s Sai Prasad Mohapatra, Sachin Tendulkar speaks about the stroke he feels is missing from his bag.

With approximately 30,000 runs in international cricket and 87 international hundreds in the game you might think that Sachin Tendulkar should be a content man. But, he isn't. When Sachin was asked what was the stroke he still yearned for, he said, "Vivian Richards' flick towards the mid-wicket."

The master batsman was referring to the famous plant of the foot of the former West Indian captain Richards on the off stump and his contemptuous flick to midwicket to even the fastest bowlers in the world.

"I think it was a terrific stroke," was how Tendulkar described the stroke.
Tendulkar is known not to cringe or shy away from challenges and when asked if there was a bowler from an era before he started playing whom he would like to face, he picked the most challenging set.

"I have never thought on these lines but I think it has to be the West Indian pace quartet," he said, referring to Joel Garner, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding and the late Malcom Marshall.

Tendulkar, who famously opened the batting in a One-day International for the first time in 1994, recalls that game as one of the milestones in his career.
"I had played a lot of important knocks in ODIs till then but I think a lot changed after I started opening in one-dayers that day (during the 1994 tour of New Zealand).
"I was playing the new ball every second day and that helped me in the Test matches as well as I was now looking to score in the longer version of the game," the batting icon said.

And, what knocks he would want to replay if he was given a chance? "2003 World Cup final against Australia, 1999 Chennai Test match against Pakistan when I got out for 136 and may be the 175 against Australia in Hyderabad," he said.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment