Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wright: I am not Flintoff


Luke Wright is not interested in comparisons drawn between himself and Andrew Flintoff.

The only similarity Wright sees between the the two of them being the role of all-rounder.

England continue the search for a successor to the Lancashire star following his retirement from Test cricket earlier this year and as he continues his rehabilitation from knee surgery.

The two-and-a-half-month tour to South Africa, which England have just embarked on, offers the chance for possible candidates like Wright and Stuart Broad - the name mentioned as the most likely to fill the void - to stick their hand up.

But, after being asked about the possibility of replacing Flintoff, Wright insisted there were not many parallels.

"Obviously you aspire to do what he's achieved, he was a world-class player and will hopefully continue to be so when he comes back," the Sussex all-rounder said.
"But, for me, apart from the all-rounder role, there is no real comparison. He's 6ft 6in and bowls at 95 miles per hour and I'm under six foot and probably bowl 85(mph).
"So to compare it is not something I look to do - I'll let other people do it. I just look to do things the way I can and hopefully I can achieve as much as he has in the game, but in my own way."

The 24-year-old is yet to kick on after his blistering debut in 2007 - he blasted 50 from 39 balls against India at the Oval - managing only one further half-century in his 25 one-day internationals.

"I enjoy my role"

However, his recent form has seen him force his way into the Test team as well, meaning he is in all three squads for the matches against the Proteas.

He continued: "I enjoy my role and love where I'm batting. I've always said that I don't mind where I bat as long as I play.

"But it's nice to be playing that all-rounder role, I'm batting sort of seven and still getting a good bowl. So that's what I've always looked to do. I want to be doing the full role, so I'm happy."

Despite his satisfaction with his current place in the England team, Wright is keen to show there is more to his game than just an attacking style, pointing to his display during the Champions Trophy semi-final loss to Australia last month.
During that game he came in with England reeling at 101 for six before hitting a patient 48 from 68 balls and shared a 107-run partnership with Tim Bresnan to rescue his country from a dire situation.

He added: "I think the nice thing about it (that partnership) on a personal note was that it showed a different side of my game. It was not all crash, bang, wallop that I've been renowned for.

"Obviously a lot of the time I get pushed up the order to go into powerplays, which I'm happy to do, but that was a chance to actually bat and show people another side."

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment