Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dinda: I just kept my patience


Bengal pacer Ashok Dinda earned a Team India call up for the two-match Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka.

He said he had never thought of playing for the nation when he came to Kolkata in 2000-01 but his coach's effort and his dedication made this a reality.

Hailing from a small village near Medinipur about three hours from Kolkata, Dinda's talent was spotted by coach Atal Dev Varman in his early days.

"I'm really thankful to my coach who has sharpened my skills. Also the support from my family has helped me to get here," Dinda, who came to limelight during his stint with KKR in the inaugural IPL, told PTI.

Recalling the days when he came to Kolkata to play cricket during 2000-01, Dinda said "At that time I did not know much about Indian cricket. I had just come to play.

"I never ever thought that I would reach this stage. It was then that I came in touch with Atal sir who honed my skills," Dinda, who made debut for Bengal in 2005-06, said.

The Bengal pacer said he knew he was very close to getting a national berth as he has been performing consistently.

"I did well in the Challengers (in Nagpur) this year. I also played in the Rest of India for Irani Trophy and was selected for Board President's XI. It was my bad luck that it was rained out.

"I was very much near to selection. I knew it could happen anytime. I just kept my patience," Dinda, who represented India Blue in the NKP Salve Challengers Trophy for 2009-10, said.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting's encouraging words had motivated him.
"He is a great cricketer and if he praises me, then it's obviously very motivating," Dinda said.

"I have got an opportunity and now I will give my best to cement my place in the side. I know it's tough now, but I am committed and I will work hard," he said.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment