Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'm not just a one-day cricketer - Tim Bresnan


Tim Bresnan has declared his Test ambitions following his impressive performance in England's seven-wicket victory over South Africa during the fourth ODI in Port Elizabeth. He displayed control and hostility to take 1 for 15 in eight overs and help England to an unbeatable 2-1 lead in the series.

Despite making his Test debut against West Indies earlier in the year, when he filled in for the injured Andrew Flintoff, Bresnan was not included in the Test squad to face South Africa. Instead Luke Wright and Liam Plunkett were selected as England try to find an allrounder for the No. 7 spot. Bresnan admits he wanted to be on the tour but feels he can earn back his Test place.

"I'm a little bit disappointed," he told reporters in Durban. "I don't label myself as just a one-day cricketer. I want to be in the Test team - it's the height of cricket, as far up as you can go. But I've just got to work my way into that."

Having made his ODI debut almost three years ago, success has been a long time coming for Bresnan. Back then he was given a harsh lesson by the touring Sri Lankans - he took two wickets and conceded 169 runs at 6.76 in his four matches - but he feels a different cricketer from the one who struggled to make an impact.

"I'm more confident as a cricketer. Back then, I was like ... 'Should I be here, do I deserve to be - am I good enough?' Now I think 'Yeah, damn right I am. I'll show you what I've got and get you out - rather than just try to keep this on the island'."

Now 24, Bresnan has grown into his role as a back-up bowler to James Anderson and Stuart Broad and has contributed useful runs down the order too, most notably a composed 80 that salvaged England's innings after they collapsed in the semi-final defeat to Australia in the Champions Trophy.

"I'm relaxed and enjoying my cricket, and feeling good. That's pretty much how I operate for Yorkshire. It's just taken me a while to transfer that into an England shirt. There's a little bit more pressure obviously, and about 20,000 more people [in the crowd] as well. But you've just got to put all that aside and concentrate on what you've got to do."

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment