Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ireland all-rounder Kyle McCallan quits internationals

Kyle McCallan has announced his retirement from international cricket after winning a record 226 caps for Ireland, 54 times as captain.

The 34-year-old all-rounder cited a combination of reasons for his decision and added that he felt "it was the right time for me to call it a day".

"I've got to think of my time after cricket and my career in teaching and my family now take priority," he said.

He scored 3,616 runs at an average of 23.33 and also took 256 wickets.
His run tally places him third on the all-time list behind Stephen Warke and Ivan Anderson.
He scored two centuries, his first coming against MCC in just his second game when just 20 years old.

His wicket haul again places him third in the Irish all-time list, behind Dermott Monteith and Jimmy Boucher.

"There are family matters to consider as playing international cricket with the increased schedule over recent years has required an incredible effort," added McCallan.

"I've been playing at international level for Ireland for a long time, and I just don't feel able to commit to that any more.

"I could have gone on for a while yet, but with the World Cup just 15 months away, that wouldn't have been fair on Phil (Simmons) and the rest of the squad.

"I'd like to pay tribute to both Phil and Warren Deutrom, who have been incredibly supportive and understanding at this time.

"I've thought long and hard about retirement, and I'll admit it wasn't easy, but having weighed everything up, my decision is final.

"It's been an incredible privilege and honour to have worn the Irish jersey over the past 13 years, and I've made some wonderful friends and have memories which I'll cherish.
"The 2007 World Cup in the West Indies will be an abiding memory, when we announced ourselves on the world stage.

"I've been fortunate to have played with and against some wonderful cricketers, but if I had to single out one, it would be Brian Lara, who was just simply a league above everyone else."
Ireland coach Phil Simmons said McCallan's retirement was "a huge loss for Irish cricket both on and off the field".

"Not only is he a wonderful cricketer, but he's been superb ambassador for his sport.
"It won't be easy to replace such a talent, especially with his experience and discipline.
"He's been a fantastic role model, and is a credit to Ireland with his dedication and commitment over a long period of time," added Simmons.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment