Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ishant: I learnt to be patient


India pacer Ishant Sharma on Sunday said that after he was ignored for the Lanka series, he has become more patient.

Ishant said, even though it was hard for him to swallow the ignore from the home Test series against Sri Lanka late last year, the experience has taught him to be more patient.

Addressing the media after the opening day's play in the second Test against Bangladesh, Ishant said the selectors were also right in dropping him from the subsequent home ODI series against the Lankans as he did not deserve to be a part of the squad.

"It was a very hard time for me in those days (when he was dropped). I was desperate to play for the country. It was the first time I was experiencing that because for the last three years my career has been only on the up but off late I learnt that I should be patient in life as well as while bowling," said Ishant, who took four Bangladeshi wickets in the first innings.

"I don't think the kind of form I was in at that time I deserved a place in the ODI side (against Sri Lanka). I thank the selectors for that.

"I don't think I have any technical flaw. It (being dropped) is part and parcel of any cricketer's life. You have to face it. It was a challenge. I am happy that I learnt to be patient during the hard times," he added.

Ishant also thanked his Delhi teammate Virender Sehwag for his support during the lean period. Ishant feels the the dashing opener played a part in his comeback bid in the playing XI.
"Moreover, all the senior players helped me a lot when I made my comeback. I want to thank Viru (Sehwag) as I think he had a role to play in my selection in the first Test in Chittagong," he said.

The gangling pacer said that the new bowling coach Eric Simons helped him in gaining back his rhythm.

"I think I have got back my rhythm. It is really good to get the rhythm back at the beginning of the season because a big series against South Africa is coming next month. It is good for me and for the team as we all are looking forward to the series," said the 21-year-old right-arm fast bowler.

"I am working on my bowling with Eric Simons. He tells me about my wrist and my bowling. So far it has been good. Let us see how it goes against South Africa," said Ishant.

Ishant said he was happy that Indian bowlers did a good job by bowling at the right areas.
"It was a good toss to lose as the wicket was damp in the morning with some dew. We bowled at the right areas and we remained patient for the wickets. You need to be patient to get wickets," he said.

"We bowled at the right areas and kept applying pressure on them," he added.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment