Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fleming says no to New Zealand job


Stephen Fleming, the former captain, is not interested in replacing Andy Moles as New Zealand's coach due to the time the appointment would take up. Fleming retired last year and has been a popular choice among players and pundits to step in for Moles, who resigned last week after the side's key men highlighted his tactical deficiencies to New Zealand Cricket.

"It is not my interest to coach internationally," Fleming said. "I am very happy with the business side of things I am looking to set up, and with my family life. I do not have the time [for coaching] and I do not have the desire."

Fleming captained New Zealand for a decade and played 111 Tests and 280 one-day internationals before retiring. Now 36, Fleming is establishing a business career as well as coaching Chennai in the Twenty20 Indian Premier League.

He also said it would not be appropriate to work with men who he was playing alongside last year. "The group of players there now are too close to my era, and also my coaching ability is unproven," he said.

Other contenders for the post include John Wright, the former India coach, who is currently New Zealand's high performance director, while Steve Rixon is reportedly interested. The side is about to start a series against Pakistan in the UAE and senior officials hope to make a full-time appointment by February, but may have to wait until after the IPL tournament.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment