Friday, October 30, 2009

Malik denies lobbying against Younus

Shoaib Malik has dismissed reports that he had led a group of players to the PCB Chairman to replace Younus Khan as captain.

Appearing on a popular talk show on the Geo Super channel, Malik also denied he had led any campaign to have Younus replaced as captain.

"Yes I did meet with the board Chairman but I never suggested to him to replace Younus nor supported the appointment of Afridi. That is not my job and you don't change captains on minor issues. If we have any problems I can talk to Younus myself," he said.

"They are minor issues but we solve them and we support each other. I know all the players back the captain as well.

They are absolutely no groupings in the team. We are a like a unit," he said.
Media reports and statements by Younus and Afridi had indicated that after the team returned home from the Champions Trophy, Malik had led a group of players to the PCB chairman and conveyed they didn't want Younus to continue as captain.
Malik said neither he nor any player of the team was bothered by allegations or groupings or match fixing as these only surfaced when the team lost.

"Honestly speaking the players have become used to these stories. But I can say with certainty there is no match fixing taking place in our team and every player plays for his country with pride."

"But everyone must remember that cricket is a sport and no team can win everyday. Defeat must be accepted sportingly.

Even the World Champions Australia lost the other day to India does it mean they under-performed deliberately."

Malik also welcomed the induction of young blood like Umar Akmal and Muhammad Aamer in the team but advised the upcoming players to make use of their good patch.
Malik was replaced as captain by the PCB earlier this year by Younus Khan after Pakistan lost a one-day home series to Sri Lanka.

Malik said he had no desire to run after the captaincy and was happy just playing as an ordinary member of the team.

"I am very much relieved these days. I don't want to be captain again. When I had this responsibility there was lot of tension for me and my family as well. So I am just happy now to perform as a senior player and give my input to the captain and management when asked by them. I am definitely more relaxed now," Malik said.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment